Designed to set a new category benchmark for maximum adventure in every ride, Triumph’s new Tiger 900 is completely transformed. With an all-new more responsive 900cc triple engine, an incredible standard of specification, new state-of-the-art ride-enhancing technology, and an aggressive new Tiger style and attitude. On top of that, the new Tiger 900 range is now significantly lighter than previous Tiger models, making these the most capable, agile and dynamic middleweight adventure bikes available.
The Triumph Tiger has an incredibly rich history, with a bloodline of dedicated off-road models spanning the last 80+ years. Starting in 1936 with the first Tiger competition models, the Tiger name has played a significant role in establishing the adventure category – from racing, to rallies, and to the birth and boom in adventure travel.
Launched in 2010, the Tiger 800 established a leading position in the middleweight adventure segment with its neutral and precise handling, torque rich triple engine, and accessibility to all riders. And in January 2018, during the development programme for the new model, the ‘Tiger Tramontana’ gave viewers of the gruelling Pan-Africa rally a very early hint of the aggressive new styling and poise of the new Tiger 900.
The all-new higher capacity and higher performance 900cc engine is now fully Euro 5 compliant, and has a new unique 1,3,2 firing order for greater character and feel. The result is improved intake noise under load, more feedback from the engine to the rider, an incredibly distinctive engine sound, and improved tractability and throttle feel, pulling harder, lower down. The result of that is a much closer association to the throttle character, sound and feel of a twin lower down, whilst maintaining all the torque, feel and delivery in the mid-range and top-end of a triple
The new engine delivers a massive 10% more peak torque than the previous Tiger 800 models, now 87Nm at 7,250rpm, with improved torque low down and across the rev range. Power is also up across the entire rev range, with 9% more in the mid-range, and 95PS peak power at 8,750rpm.
Combined, this delivers more responsive acceleration, with 0-60mph, 0-110mph and 6th gear roll on times all significantly beating the previous generation model and the closest competition. Additionally, it gives the new Tiger 900 a much more aggressive, raspy and engaging triple soundtrack.
An all-new twin radiator set up is mass optimised with a reduced coolant volume. This improves cooling performance, and reduces the ambient heat felt by the rider. The new radiator style enhances the new models’ more striking adventure bike stance and poise. Its shape and position enable a further forward engine position, resulting in a more optimised centre of gravity (40mm forward and 20mm lower). This improves weight distribution for better handling and low speed balance, whilst other improvements to the sump and cooling system ensure it has no impact on ground clearance.
There’s also an all-new air box with a more easily accessible new air filter, plus a slip and assist clutch for added rider comfort.
Now up to 5kg lighter than the previous generation model, the new generation 900 delivers the most commanding and agile Tiger ride ever. The new steel trellis frame is not only lighter, but now has a modular construction, with bolt-on aluminium rear sub-frame and bolt-on pillion hangers, delivering the most adventure-centric set-up ever for off-road focused riding.
There is a very high specification of suspension across the new 900 range with premium Marzocchi or Showa components tailored to deliver the ultimate capability for the benchmark-setting new middleweight adventure bikes.
For maximum rider convenience and comfort, the GT Pro model features segment-leading electronically adjustable rear suspension, allowing the rider to adjust the rear preload and damping settings via a dedicated menu in the TFT instruments. Riders can select from nine levels of damping control, ranging from Comfort (softest) to Sport (firmest), and four preload set-ups.
All of the new Tiger 900 models now feature category-leading Brembo Stylema brakes for superior stopping power. These are lightweight, compact, carefully sculpted and high performing calipers, with reduced volume around the pistons and brake pads, reducing the internal space occupied by brake fluid, delivering a more immediate braking response. Increased airflow around the brake pads also helps the calipers to cool quicker.
This combination of new lightweight modular frame, new lighter weight engine, high specification suspension and premium Brembo brakes delivers a step change in agility and capability, ensuring exceptional handling in all riding scenarios.
Long distance travel has been improved on the new Tiger 900 range, with a new larger 20 litre fuel tank and new adjustable screen, delivering superior wind protection with a simple single-handed adjustment.
Ergonomics are also improved for the new models, optimised for rider comfort when touring, off-roading and anything in between. The seat width is narrower, and the handlebars are 10mm closer, giving a more comfortable upright riding position, and a greater level of rider control when static and on the move. Additionally, each model has a dedicated and unique footrest position to suit the expected style of riding, and a built-in easily adjustable two-position seat height mechanism. This enables the rider to change the seat height by 20mm to their preferred set-up.
The new Tiger 900 range features a significant step forward in its ride-enhancing technology, with state-of-the-art features including:
- New class-leading 7″ TFT instruments
(GT & GT Pro, Rally & Rally Pro only) – Featuring dedicated
Tiger start-up logos, the new larger TFT instruments present rider
information in four different styles with complete clarity. There are
also four different colour options to choose from and high/low contrast
versions for excellent visibility in all lights. The 7″ TFT screen
is now bonded to the glass for a crisper image, with no reflective
(The base Tiger 900 model features 5″ TFT high contrast instruments)
- New My Triumph connectivity system and app
(GT Pro & Rally Pro only) – With TFT instrument styles designed
specifically for connectivity, the integrated My Triumph connectivity
system and app seamlessly enable phone call and music operation,
turn-by-turn navigation, and GoPro control – all accessed via the switch
cubes and displayed on the 7″ TFT screen.
(The My Triumph connectivity system is available as an accessory option on the GT and Rally models, including a dedicated Bluetooth® connectivity module)
- New optimised cornering ABS and traction control, with IMU (GT & GT Pro, Rally & Rally Pro only) – New optimised cornering ABS and optimised cornering traction control comes as standard on the mid and top spec new Tiger 900s, and is enabled via an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) developed in conjunction with Continental. This supports the automatic selection of the appropriate level of ABS and traction control intervention by constantly measuring roll, pitch, yaw and acceleration rates, in order to calculate the lean angle. This fully integrated technology system ensures greater riding stability at all times.
- Up to six riding modes – Riding modes adjust
throttle response, ABS and traction control settings for maximum rider
control in all riding conditions. The new anti-stall feature on the
Off-Road and Off-Road Pro modes automatically increases the idle revs to
prevent stalling. The Off-Road Pro riding mode, exclusive to the Rally
Pro model, is Triumph’s most extreme off-road set-up for advanced
off-road adventure, with ABS and traction control turned off, and an
off-road throttle map.
Tiger 900 Rally Pro: Rain, Road, Sport, Off-Road, Rider-configurable & Off-Road Pro
Tiger 900 GT Pro: Rain, Road, Sport, Off-Road & Rider-configurable
Tiger 900 Rally & Tiger 900 GT: Rain, Road, Sport & Off-Road
Tiger 900: Rain & Road
- New all-LED lighting, with daytime running lights (DRL*) – The headlight, tail light and indicators* on all new Tiger 900 models are now LED powered for maintenance-free active safety. In applicable markets, the headlight features Triumph’s signature shape DRL* for enhanced visibility in all lights. The GT Pro and Rally Pro models also feature LED auxiliary fog lights for additional long distance capability. (*market specific)
- New Triumph Shift Assist, up and down quickshifter (GT Pro & Rally Pro only) – Enabling smooth, comfortable clutch-less up and down gear changes whilst maintaining the accelerator position, the Triumph Shift Assist reduces rider fatigue and improves the ride. (Available as an accessory on the base and mid-spec Tiger 900 models)
- New secure mobile phone storage and USB charging (GT & GT Pro, Rally & Rally Pro only) – A secure compartment under the seat houses a handy 5V USB power socket to enable uninterrupted use of the My Triumph connectivity system.
- Highest level of standard technology specification (GT & GT Pro, Rally & Rally Pro only) – Fitted as standard for maximum rider comfort and convenience, the mid and top spec Tiger 900 models feature illuminated switches with a 5-way joystick, electronic cruise control and heated grips.
- Fully loaded GT Pro and Rally Pro technology – Exclusive to the top spec Tiger 900 models are the unique-in-segment heated seats (with separate pillion control) and the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS).
All-new aggressive styling, re-designed smaller-scale bodywork, revised finishes and cleaner lines give the new Tiger 900 a more distinctive and dominant adventure stance. This is supported by the narrow stand over width, the visually lighter front end and the dominant fuel tank design and size.
The all-new bodywork has a more focused and aggressive adventure style, and includes fuel tank, tank end panel, high mudguard, seat panel, radiator cowl and radiator duct exit. The finish and detailing is also improved to its highest ever level, making the Tiger 900 the new benchmark for quality.