MINI Australia has long stood for driving fun and now, with the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid arriving in Australia, MINI demonstrates its focus on future mobility, while retaining that core MINI enjoyment ethos.
“The MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid is the first step in what will be an exciting journey into the world of MINI future mobility,” said MINI Australia General Manager, Brett Waudby.
“With performance on-par to the famous Countryman Cooper S but even greater efficiency, thanks to its plug-in hybrid drivetrain, the Countryman Plug-In Hybrid offers exceptional all-round performance, versatility and economy,” he said.
Now available to experience in showrooms, the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid will be priced from $57,200.
Capable of delivering up to 40km (NEDC) on pure electric power, the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid makes urban driving a zero-emission breeze.
The synchronous electric motor generates 65kW of power along with 165Nm of instantaneous torque, and drives the rear wheels.
Providing an alternative propulsion source is a turbocharged 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol combustion engine, providing 100kW and 220Nm. This drives the front axle via a six-speed automatic transmission, making the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid an all- wheel drive-capable vehicle.
Combined, these two motors provide an impressive 165kW power peak and some 385Nm torque – enough for 0-100km/h in only 6.9 seconds and equal to the Countryman Cooper S in accelerative terms.
In green terms, the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid achieves this performance while requiring only 2.1L/100km of fuel (NEDC). Carbon emissions are equally startling, with combined CO2 of 49g/km.
The high-voltage lithium-ion battery packs provide 7.6kWh gross storage and are mounted low in the vehicle, ensuring minimal dynamic disturbance and optimal weight distribution. Even more importantly, the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid’s luggage capacity remains notable, with 405L available in the rear section. Fold the second-row seats down and capacity increases to 1,275L.
The battery pack is warrantied for six years or 100,000km, whichever comes first.
Charging times range from 3 hours, 15 minutes via a regular household socket to only 2 hours, 15 minutes via the MINI Wallbox, which can be installed at the home or office for further convenience.
The eDrive system allows the driver to adjust the electric-combustion interaction on-the- fly. In normal conditions, known as ‘AUTO eDrive’, the electric motor drives the vehicle up to speeds of 80km/h, where the combustion engine also engages.
Switching to MAX eDrive mode allows the electric motor to power the vehicle exclusively at speeds of up to 125km/h.
To allow effective generation when driving, the SAVE BATTERY mode regenerates the battery to a 90 per cent charge, and maintains the capacity from this point.
Of course the MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid comes well-specified as standard.
The exterior is highlighted by specific badging identifiers and 18-inch light alloy wheels in silver ‘Pin Spoke’ design.
Other exterior highlights include:
- Body colour roof and mirror caps
- Satin Silver roof rails and side sill mouldings
- Radiator grille with dual chrome surround and Black honeycomb insert with S designation
- Chrome side scuttles and exhaust tip
- Integrated front ‘Air Curtains’
- Integrated rear roof spoiler
- Clear indicator lenses
- LED Headlights
- MINI logo projection
- Heated exterior mirrors with washer jets
- Countryman badging to tailgate
Entering the interior via the standard Comfort Access system, occupants are greeted with Leatherette-upholstered sports seats in Carbon Black and a three-spoke sports leather multi-function steering wheel.
Other interior highlights include:
- Height adjustment for front seats
- Hazy Grey interior trims
- Velour floor mats in Carbon Black
- Satellite Grey roofliner
- Dual-zone automatic climate control with second-row seat ventilation
- Automatic tailgate operation
- Interactive LED lighting for central instrument display
- Through-loading system with 40:20:40 second-row seat split
- Two USB ports
- Ambient lighting
The MINI Countryman Plug-In hybrid is also equipped with a wide array of infotainment features, including the latest-generation MINI Connected e-mobility journey management system and Wireless Apple CarPlay.
Other infotainment highlights include:
- MINI touchscreen navigation system with 8.8-inch colour display
- Six-speaker HiFi system
- Bluetooth mobile preparation with wireless phone charging
- DAB tuner
- Remote Services, via the MINI Connected App
- Emergency Call button in roof headliner
As ever, MINI stands for safety and includes airbags to the front and side for the driver and front passenger, with curtain airbags to the front and rear passenger zones.
Other safety and technology highlights include:
- Active Cruise Control, operable from 0-140km/h with Stop & Go function
- City Crash Mitigation with pedestrian detection
- Forward Collision Warning with visual and audio cues, plus brake pre-conditioning
- Front and rear Park Distance Control
- Reversing camera with guidance lines
- Speed Limit Device
- Speed Limit Information
- Performance Control
- Dynamic Traction Control including electronic differential lock
Key numbers: The MINI Countryman Plug-In Hybrid
- eDrive range (to NEDC): 40km
- Total range: Approximately 500km
- Fuel consumption, combined (to NEDC): 2.1L/100km
- CO2, combined (to NEDC): 49g/km
- Combustion engine: 1.5-litre, three-cylinder turbocharged petrol, generating
- 100kW and 220Nm
- Electric Motor: 65kW and 165Nm
- Combined output: 165kw and 385Nm
- Acceleration: 0-100km/h in 6.9sec, equal to Countryman Cooper S Auto
- Electric top speed: 125km/h
- Combined top speed: 199km/h
- High-Voltage Battery Packs: 80 x 26Ah, built into 5 modules
- Voltage range: 225-328 volts
- Battery energy: 7.6kWh gross / 5.7kWh net
- Charging time: 2 hours, 15 minutes with Wallbox; 3 hours, 15 minutes via domestic use socket