The new 2018 model year Jaguar XJ goes on sale in Australia from Q1 2018 and Jaguar has announced a range of enhancements to its luxury sports saloon.
The 2018 model year (2018MY) updates include the introduction of the XJR575 performance flagship model, a host of technology upgrades and the addition of the latest intelligent safety features.
The new XJR575 is the most dynamic derivative in the line-up and delivers 423kW and 700Nm of torque for effortless acceleration and refinement. The 19kW uplift in power is delivered by Jaguar Land Rover’s 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine and powers the luxury sports saloon from 0-100km/h in 4.4 seconds and to a top speed of 300km/h.
Available in standard-wheelbase, the XJR575 reinforces the XJR’s standing as Jaguar’s fastest XJ saloon. Buyers will be able to choose between two bespoke exterior colour finishes created at Special Vehicle Operations’ state-of-the-art Oxford Road facility: Velocity Blue and Satin Corris Grey.
Tailor-made exterior details include a rear spoiler, side sills, front bumper and lower air intakes featuring Gloss Black surrounds. Updated XJR575 exterior badging and twin bonnet louvres mark the vehicle out from the rest of the range while 20-inch Farallon gloss-black wheels with red painted brake callipers are the final dynamic flourish.
Inside the XJR575 features bespoke embossed tread plates, 575 intaglio and diamond-quilted seating available in Jet/Jet and Ivory/Jet colour options and finished with additional 575 branding.
For 2018MY the XJ features a number of technology upgrades which enhance connectivity with 4G Wi-Fi capability, allowing occupants to stay online on the move with as many as eight devices.
In addition, the central console now features a larger 10-inch touchscreen. As well as giving customers greater clarity, the bigger screen functions like a smartphone allowing occupants to pinch and zoom when using satellite navigation and create custom homepages for shortcuts to favoured features.
Jaguar’s saloon car line-up promises strong safety credentials and the 2018MY XJ features the latest intelligent safety technologies. Forward Traffic Detection is designed to assist drivers when forward visibility is restricted, for example when pulling out of blind junctions.
Lane Keep Assist is able to determine the car’s lane position and monitor steering inputs. If the vehicle drifts out of its lane without indicating, the system applies gentle steering torque to correct the movement and prevent the unintended lane-change. In addition, Driver Condition Monitor is able to identify periods of little or no steering activity followed by sudden or excessive inputs – a clear indication of driver fatigue – and display multi-stage visual warnings to prompt the driver to take a break.
The pedestrian safety bar is raised further by Jaguar’s advanced Autonomous Emergency Braking (AEB), which provides superior functionality with the introduction of Pedestrian Detection. The system operates from 5-60km/h and uses an advanced forward-facing stereo digital camera to spot hazards, automatically applying the brakes when the risk of a collision is detected.
AT A GLANCE
- The XJ reaffirms its status as the most dynamic, distinctive luxury saloon in the world
- Performance flagship XJR575 delivers 423kW and 700Nm for seamless acceleration from its supercharged 5.0-litre V8 engine
- XJR575 joins the line-up alongside XJ Premium Luxury, Portfolio, R-Sport and top-of-the-range Autobiography
- Bold exterior design includes full LED headlights and unique double ‘J-Blade signature’ daytime running lights
- Powerful 3.0-litre V6 diesel engine delivers 221kW/700Nm with CO2 emissions as low as 149g/km
- Touch Pro infotainment offers door-to-door navigation, seamless iOS and Android connectivity
- 10-inch central touchscreen features high-quality graphics and intuitive user interface
- Reconfigurable 12.3-inch Interactive Driver Display offers full-screen navigation
- All-Surface Progress Control enhances traction on low-friction surfaces such as snow and ice – all the driver has to do is steer
- Black Pack options for subtly enhanced exterior styling
- Suite of advanced Driver Assistance systems including Autonomous Emergency Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist, Reverse Traffic Detection, Blind Spot Monitoring, 360-degree Surround Camera System and semi-automated bay- and parallel-parking
The XJ is the pinnacle of Jaguar’s saloon car line-up. The luxury sports saloon delivers an unrivalled combination of Jaguar design and driving dynamics along with the ultimate in luxury refinement for drivers and passengers.
The authoritative yet elegant design is formed around Jaguar’s aluminium-intensive architecture. Its low-slung coupe-like stance, precise lines and carefully judged proportions ensure it is instantly recognisable as a Jaguar from any angle.
Inside, customers experience a perfect combination of intricate handmade details and beautifully crafted materials such as semi-aniline leather and inlay veneers alongside advanced technology. Rear occupants benefit from over a metre of legroom in long wheelbase models.
“The Jaguar XJ is the largest model in our saloon car line-up and retains the physical presence and graceful design customers expect from a Jaguar flagship. Anyone who sees this car immediately knows it is both great to drive and to sit in. The intricate details inside and out give owners and passengers the feeling that they are in the presence of something truly special,” said Ian Callum, Director of Design, Jaguar
Creating a dynamic and refined driving experience has always been key to the Jaguar XJ’s appeal. Advanced Adaptive Dynamics dampers adjust to suit the conditions and driving style by monitoring the car up to 500 times a second. Analysing acceleration, cornering, throttle and brake pedal activity, and working alongside the air suspension system, the intelligent set-up improves body control in dynamic driving without compromising ride comfort.